2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups coarsely shredded apples, such as Macintosh (about 1 3/4 pounds)
1 cup sugar
¼ cup water
1 cup heavy cream
½ cup butter
¼ cup vegetable shortening
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp spiced rum
1-2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
6 cups powdered sugar
4-6 Tbsp milk
1) Melt butter and combine with shredded apple, vanilla, eggs and sugar.
2) Add all dry ingredients, to the wet ingredients, until combined and all ingredients evenly distributed.
3) Fill baking cups a little more than ¾ of the way full.
4) Bake for 15-25 minutes at 350 degrees, when done, let cool.
5) While cupcakes are baking, combine the sugar and water in a saucepan, turn to medium heat and allow the combination to boil until it turns a light amber color.
6) Remove from heat and whisk in the heavy cream a little at a time, put it back on the heat and whisk until any clumps of sugar and cream are dispersed. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
7) Once both have cooled, use a filling tip to pipe caramel into the center of each cupcake.
8) For icing, whip together butter and shortening, once light and fluffy, add vanilla, rum and cinnamon.
9) Add powdered sugar and milk in increments until the desired consistency is achieved.
10) Ice cupcakes, drizzle with caramel and enjoy!
(Cupcake recipe is modified from a Martha Stewart Recipe)