It is soup season, can I get a whoop whoop! One of my favorites! It's so easy to just prep everything, toss it in the slow cooker and be on your way for the day. I love the fresh flavors of summer, but with recipes like my Tuscan Vegetable Beef Soup, it's easy to get healthier food on the table for my family more frequently. This soup is versatile, and can be made vegetarian or vegan if you'd like. Just omit the beef, or beef broth.
For this recipe you will need:
1lb of Stew Meat (cut even smaller into small bite sized pieces)
1 Large Onion diced
1/2 Head of Cabbage (use the other half to make cole slaw) slicked into thicker pieces
3 Large Zucchini halved and sliced into 1/2 inch chunks
4-5 medium-large carrots
2 Cups frozen (not canned) green beans
1 Can Diced Tomatoes
1 Small Can Tomato Paste
3 Bay Leaves
1T Dried Garlic or fresh
4 Cups of Beef Broth or Vegetable
4 Cups Chicken Stock or use all vegetable or all beef. (it is what I had on hand at the time)
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1T Coconut Oil
1. Begin by browning your beef in the melted butter/coconut oil on medium/medium high. I like to use both, I find that the coconut oil, doesn't taste like coconut when I add a little butter.
2. Add your diced onion and continue to brown the beef until it is no longer pink.
3. Add your cabbage and carrots and cook this mixture down until the cabbage has softened a bit, the carrots will continue to cook throughout the process.
4. Add the whole can of tomato paste, you want to cook it a bit and stir everything around coating it all with the paste. This helps to make the tomato paste taste even richer.
5. Add your zucchini and cook slightly, the zucchini will continue to cook throughout the process.
6. Add all of your spices, continuing to cook on medium for 30 seconds.
7. Add your can of diced tomatoes and green beans and stir.
8. Add your stock or broth of choice.
9. Simmer the soup for an hour and let the broth reduce, check to-taste for salt and pepper.
10. Simmer the soup until you are ready to eat, and add a little more stock if you find it is getting to dry.
Serve hot with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Slow Cooker Tip- You can make this in your Slow Cooker, but you should brown the beef and onions ahead of time for deeper flavor. If not, throw everything in the slow cooker together and cook on high for 6-8 hours. Be sure that there is always enough liquid in the pot to make soup.
What about you, what is your favorite soup?